SMEs (small and medium enterprises) internally typically work file based, storing all their CAD and project files in folders of their file server. But employees of SMEs are mobile too and we all know the situation of getting an urgent call while travelling, being asked for immediate assistance.
What can we do, if we now would need access to our 3D CAD models, 2D drawings or any project related documentation?
The easy solution is a Web based application that – after logon of course – will provide a “file open” dialog, which we all know from our Desktop applications. But in the case of working Web based this “file open” dialog needs to point to a directory of one of OUR servers, allowing to browse through files and sub folders, and open files from there. Of course the server of this Web application will run on our infrastructure – so in the same network, where our files reside.
Advantages of this approach are:
- It is an easy way to make CAD files and documents accessible from outside: just copy & paste them to a defined location or in a sub folder of it.
- There are no download required
- There will be no files on our mobile device at any time. No risk to lose them, no need to protect our IP, no problem with file sizes, I.e. for large assemblies
- Very fast mobile access, short loadtimes
- Always access to the current files, not working with outdated local copies.
Here is an example of a solution and how it could look like on a Smartphone. More details here.